06 February 2011

St Hallet 2002 Gamekeeper's Reserve


General: A southerly broke the one week heatwave this afternoon and temperatures cooled this evening. This was from my brother's collection and we celebrated his birthday with it
Varieties: Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvedre, Touriga Nacional
Region/G.I.: Barossa [SA]
Alcohol: 14.0%
Bouquet: Clearly aged, the bouquet had a consistent, long aroma of regular plum, with some tarry notes
Flavour: Very nice! Smooth and good length. Along with the fruit came black pepper notes. The Shiraz is evident.
Points: 84
Notes: When purchased, this was probably $10 (180 Kc). Although apparently not designed for ageing, I really enjoyed it. It seems that the Touriga Nacional and Mourvedre amounts are in such a small proportion that they no longer appear on more recent labels

2 comments:

  1. would be interesting to get Touriga Nacional being major part of the blend there as it is Portuguese variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is used in "Australian Port Style wines" which are now simply called Ruby, Tawny etc. withouth upsetting the EU :-). None in the cellar and no rush to add just yet.....

    ReplyDelete