03 October 2010

Balthazar 2007 Ishtar



General: Part of a case I agreed to buy over the phone, this wine has a terrible tacky label but proved quite a surprise....

Varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon 53%, Merlot 47%

Alcohol: 14.5%

Region/G.I.: Barossa, Barossa Valley

Bouquet: It actually smelt a bit meaty when first opened but with airing, it was more in terms of Christmas cake flavours - plums, raisons and spices (cinammon, cloves)

Flavour: Layers of flavour in this bottle. Rich fruity flavours matching those on the nose, with some oak in the mix and the spices also balanced nicely. A joy to taste as there was much to discover. At one point I thought I detected chocolate as well.

Points: 86

Notes: This one proves the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover". The best wine all weekend. The undiscounted price was $23 (415 Kc) and with discounts $15 (270 Kc). Absolutely worth the full price and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment