14 August 2010

Plantagenet Hazard Hill 2003 Shiraz


General: I found this at a shop which is part of a small chain. It's unusual given its age, but I bought it as it is available in the Czech Republic and I was interested to see what has happened since 2003.
Variety: Shiraz
Region/G.I.: South Western Australia, Great Southern
Alcohol: 14.5%
Bouquet: Mostly animal tones with some earthy background. To be honest, I was a little fearful that it was gone...
Flavour: Yummy. In spite of the nose, it had good peppery fruit giving way to a nice, still surviving but gentle tannins. Some oak in there as well and not surprisingly, it was very, very smooth.
Points: 85
Notes: A very good surprise. This is the entry level for the winery. I must track down their other lables. Undiscounted, I bought it for $14 (252 Kc).

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, almost same notes as in my tasting half year ago. I still have one more bottle:)
    http://mi-vino.blogspot.com/2010/02/plantagenet-hazard-hill-shiraz-2003.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I forgot you tasted it already. Some dark chocolate would have been very nice!! It's unusual here to have such an old bottle at this price. I'm not sure where it's been for 7 years.

    ReplyDelete